- This event has passed.
Sensory Sensitive Morning
February 26 @ 10:00 am - 12:30 pm$5
Sensory Sensitive Morning at the Lighthouse
Sensory-Friendly Experiences for Children on the Autism Spectrum
Welcome to our inclusive sensory-friendly program designed for children on the autism spectrum and their families. Discover a relaxed environment where participants engage in hands-on activities within our Outstanding Natural Area (ONA). Learn about this month’s Sensory Sensitive Morning, themed around Leap Year and its impact on farmers and harvests.
How to Register:
Due to limited space, advanced registration is highly encouraged. Secure your spot by registering here!
This program provides a sensory-friendly environment, encouraging socialization and educational activities while closed to the public. We welcome those with special needs to a space that stimulates the senses and inspires individuality.
February’s Sensory Sensitive Morning:
Explore the themed activities for February, centered around Leap Year and its effects on farmers and harvests. Participants will engage in hands-on experiences, including letter-writing and “harvesting” pipe cleaner carrots. Each child will receive a fidget pineapple toy related to our site’s unique features.
Logistics for the Day:
- 10:00 am: Visitors may check in at our Gift Shop
- Here you will receive a sensory map and activity guide, including access points to our Quiet Room.
- 10:20 am: Chickee Activity
- Leap year-themed activities: visual cards, letter writing, and pipe cleaner pineapple planting.
- 11:00 am: Optional Tower Climb and Workshop
- Families can explore the site, including the pedestrian pier and Tindall House Exhibit!
- 12:30 pm: Activities Conclude
- Pick up your crafts at the Chickee after a morning of exploring and learning!
Plan Your Visit:
Join us for a memorable and inclusive experience during our sensory-friendly program. For more information regarding safety and accessibility, please visit us here.